alternator question?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: alternator question?
From: Jim Cullen <jcullen@direct.ca>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 21:56:38 -0700
Hello All:

I just replaced my alternator about 1 month ago (some might remember my
question whether I should try to rebuild it or get a rebuilt one. I went
with the rebuilt one, and thanks to those who responded). I'm a little
concerned I've got a problem with the rebuilt one. When I put the rebuilt
one in and started the car the very first time I heard a "whirring" noise
very similar to the one that I heard when the previous one went. Cursing and
swearing that I had got a shoddy part I turned the car off and tried again
just to see and no sound this time. The alternator seemed to be charging the
battery, so I left it alone. Now when I driving it I'll intermittently hear
a similar sound for a few seconds only. I also remember that my parts
courier (my wife was working near the local parts supplier that day)
informed that that the parts guy had to change the fan and pulley from my
old one to the rebuilt one (possibly leaving me with my already shot
bearing?). My question is: What is this sound an indication of (a bad
bearing or something else)? I'd like to know before I go back out to the
parts guy, because he has been pretty good to me in the past and I don't
want to accuse him of screwing up if he hasn't.

Thanks in advance,

Jim Cullen
Vancouver, B.C.
1974 Spitfire, british racing green aka"Jade"