GT-6+ Pistons

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: GT-6+ Pistons
From: "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 96 16:12:30 EST

     Anyone on the list have a set of new GT-6 (.020) pistons for sale or
     barter?  Before I commit to pistons, would welcome advice about best
     practice...i.e.  the block I am rebuilding (bore, line bore, adding
     cam bearings, etc. is, I think, from a Mark 3 (KF XXXX number on
     block)...but on disassembly found flat top pistons, not domed.  Vicky
     Brit catalogs suggest that Mark 3 pistons should be domed...course
     they also say that the later models had higher compression than the
     Mark 2s...which other readings suggest is wrong.

     AE catalogs vary depending on year and show either dome or flat top
     depending on the print date of the catalog.

     My quandry is that I believe the dome top pistons would give a higher
     compression ratio (all other things being equal) but I am uncertain
     about clearance from the valves after milling the head...am I better
     off to use flat top pistons and get the higher compression by milling
     or is there some performance improvement associated with the shape of
     the dome tops???

     Depending on the responses to these questions, I am in the market for
     a set of pistons...

     Cheers!

     Pete MCQ

     73 TR-6