RE: TR3A - Rust-Removal

To: ron_botting@mindlink.bc.ca (ron botting), triumphs@autox.team.net (triumphs)
Subject: RE: TR3A - Rust-Removal
From: TWALLI@vanheusen.com (Walling, Tom)
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 12:49:41 -0600
I had my TR3 sheet metal done by Redi-Strip many years ago.  I had the same
questions you have about cost vs value (only I didn't have the resource of
the
"list" to fall back on).  The process of answering the question hasn't
changed
though -- its still a subjective weighing of how much is a totaly clean
body,
frame, block, etc. worth to you?

Redi-Strip will absolutely clean off all traces of paint, grease, sludge,
Bondo
(oh no Bondo?), and most importantly, RUST.  It will get into the places
that
you cannot possibly get by yourself or with the usual methods that the home
mechanic will use.  If you think that you need that level of cleanliness,
then
you should consider the price well worth it.  Restoring an old LBC isn't a
job
for an accountant anyway -- the costs will almost always exceed the resale.

If you go the Redi-Strip route, be careful about a few things.  First, the
parts
will come back with a powdery substance on them (residue from the
witch's brew in the tanks)  and this must be left on until you are ready
to paint the parts.  Take your time washing the power off!  I had to get
my car painted twice because I hurried thru washing the body with the
water/vinegar solution, and the paint didn't hold to the surface.  Also,
remove all non-ferrous metal parts, or you won't see them again.  For
instance, the stiffening rail that the front cowl bolts to at the front of
the
bonnet is made of some alloy that is totally disolved by Redi-Strip.

Would I do it again?  I still think that its the surest and most complete
way
to strip a car.  I am hoping to re-restore my TR3 soon, and I would like to
find a Redi-Strip (or equivalent) in the area, but may end up doing it
myself as I live in Maine.  I think that the Redi-Strip process has got to
be better for the environment that the ususal slathering on of some
dangerous and caustic substance (that can't be made non-toxic), and
then scrapping/scrubbing/sanding it off either onto the ground, or onto
some newspapers that will end up in a land fill.

Well. Its been nice to spend your $$ vicarously for you.  Any time you
need advice on spending big bucks, just ask me.  Oh, I guess I should
say that I have no financial interest in Redi-Strip other than as a 1-time
consumer of their services.

Good luck...    Tom     (60 TR3A   73 TR6)