Re: Compression to C/R conversion

Subject: Re: Compression to C/R conversion
From: Egil Kvaleberg <egilk@sn.no>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 1996 11:22:58 GMT
Apparently-to: triumphs@autox.team.net
Newsgroups: mail.triumphs
On Mon, 14 Oct 1996, CBrown1500@aol.com wrote:

> In the April '96 issue of Classic Cars, in the Technical Queries column,
> comes this chart:
>
> Compression
> ratio               6:1     7:1      8:1     9:1     10:1     11:1
> Pressure
> (psi)              108     123     131    152     167      181
>
> These pressures are based on a fully charged battery, warm engine, and
> throttles wide open.

Add to that: all other plugs removed.

> And, they state this is an "estimate"--there are so many
> variables.

Exactly.

My experience with Triumphs indicate that they usually register higher
than this. I don't know why, but my 2.5 with 10:1 compression seems to
consistently register almost 190-200 PSI on all cylinders (with a TR5 cam,
BTW) (and two different meters, one of reasonable quality). Having asked
around, this seems to be fairly consistent with what others are getting in
a similar setup.

Does anyone know why the difference compared to the "static" number is so
high? Gas dynamics, yes, but we are really talking about a couple of
houndred of RPM from the starter again here. The cam timings surely
aren't optimized for that sort of RPM?

The reading definitely "builds up" over a number of strokes, but
that would have to do with having to fill the internals of the pressure
meter with air first, or? I have a screw-in type of meter that might take up
more space in the compression chamber than a spark plug. But surely not
enough to account for this?

Egil
--
Email: egilk@sn.no  Voice: +47 22523641, 92022780 Fax: +47 22525899
Snail: Egil Kvaleberg, Husebybakken 14A, 0379 Oslo, Norway