The tale of a washer

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: The tale of a washer
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 1996 15:29:03 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Aft'noon all,

Last Wednesday, I refitted the old filters to the Spitfire as I had never
gotten round to re-jetting for the K&N's, anyway, I had stored all the bolts
and washers inside the filters for whenever I may wish to use them again.....

Guess what!!!

I removed the bolts and washers but couldn't find one washer, anyway, without
thinking, I found another washer that fitted and refitted them........

Guess What!!!

I then drove about 20-30 miles around Leicester looking at various pubs for a
Christmas meal.....

Guess What!!!

I was just on my way to my friends house, I had just hit 6000rpm in second
pulling away from some traffic lights when.....

Guess What!!!

Yep, the missing washer made an unwelcome entrance into Number 2 cylinder,
totally trashing the plug, shredding the washer, and giving the piston the
appearance of the moon.

Oh well, after removing offending piston, extracting the bits of washer
embedded in it, and filing it flat, I replaced it and the engine runs as smooth

Was I a lucky sod or what!!!!!!

Oh well, time to go home.

Bye bye from Blighty

Rich