Re: TR3A Battery Box Question

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3A Battery Box Question
From: Jeff Williamson <jaws@mich.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 20:31:24 -0400
Fri, 11 Oct 1996 22:26:06, Ken Gano wrote:

>         In my rust busting zeal, the bottom of the battery box went many
>months
> ago (for that matter, I'm not sure it was ever there).  Anyway, now, upon
> rebuilding the battery box, I find I have no reference for the size of the
> drain hole in the front.  Does anyone out there know what it's suppose to
> be?  Position I can figure from the position of the other hole in the
> tranny cover, but I'm pretty sure that the size was much bigger.

I was working on my TR3A today --- trying to get the transmission back
on the motor after replacing that leaking rear seal---what a pain in the
____.  While I was there, I took some measurements for you.

The battery box hole is located on the centerline between the left and
right sides of the box (obviously). The centerline of the hole is 1-1/8"
back from the front inside edge of the box. The hole is 1/4" diameter
and extends through a 1" long steel tube which is welded to the bottom
of the box. A rubber hose with a 3/8" I.D. fits very nicely over the
steel tube.

These measurements came from a replacement box that I ordered from Moss
and installed during my recent restoration, but best I can remember, it
duplicates the original.

Good Luck.

Jeff Williamson
Belleville, MI