Re: Compression Tests (No LBC content)

To: KVacek@aol.com
Subject: Re: Compression Tests (No LBC content)
From: Jeff Nathanson <jeffn@msystech.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 1996 14:04:32 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Karl,

        I think we all knew what you meant. Thanks for the correction factor.
However I've got two additional commnents.
        1) You still got your slide rules? The last one I owned fell out of
my Triumph 650 motorcycle as I was accelerating back in '74. I then bought
an HP 45 which I still have and use.
        2) Using my HP 45 and the ideal gas law, the atmospheric pressure
is 14.71 PSI at standard conditions, as follows:

        P=nRT/V         (ideal gas law)
                        P= pressure
                        n= moles of gas
                        R= Universal gas constant
                        T = temperature

        P= 1 (lb-mole of air) * (10.73psia/(ft3)/lb-mole/(deg R) * (492 degR)
                        359 (ft3/lb-mole)
        = 14.71 PSI

        This is the well accepted number that most engineers use when dealing
with gaseous systems. Anyway, whether you use 14.8 or 14.7, the difference is
less than 1%, and both results give you correct "ballbark" answers. In fact,
maybe
14.8 is truly better. Since 14.7 is based on standard conditions (32deg F
and 1 atm),
after correcting it for a higher temperature, it may be 14.8 PSI.

        Well, enough with boring details.

Jeff "Picky-Picky" Nathanson

At 11:05 AM 10/13/96 -0400, you wrote:

><< A little correction, see below=
>
> >A 10:1 compression ratio thus should yield (14.8 X 10)-14.8  or about
> >13.3
> >PSI
>
> You mean 133 psi not 13.3 psi :)
>  >>

>Oh, this is just swell.  I act like Mr. Smarty Pants, sending a nit-picking
>post correcting Barry's formula, and I can't get the decimal point right.
> You can see that my work improved greatly in the mid-1970's with the advent
>of the cheap calculator.  I still have all of my slide rules though, ready
>for those occasions when I don't care if I get the order of magnitude
>right...
>
>-Karl

Jeff C. Nathanson
Director of Product Development
Manufacturing Systems & Technologies, Inc.