Re : Brake Lights

Subject: Re : Brake Lights
From: Francois Demont <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 12 Oct 96 13:52:54 EDT
Cc: Jane Burdekin <burdekij@bvsd.k12.co.us>, PVANDAL <PVANDAL@aol.com>
PVANDAL@aol.com wrote :
>>>Does anyone know the reason why my brake lights do not work when my lights
are turned on?<<<

I think PVANDAL not yet told us what car is concerned ?...
But I'm very surprised not to find anyone on the list to mention that this is
NORMAL !
Well, only on Spitfire MKIV and GT6 MK3... (I'm not sure about the TR's)
Or is it only in France that we have this damned night-dimming relay ?
In his excellent book John Thomason says : 'An oddity fitted to MKIVs up to
FH50000 was a night-dimming relay located behind the left-hand inner wing (in
the boot). Its purpose was to reduce the intensity of the brake lights at night
(when the side lights were on) and avoid dazzling motorists behind !'
You can mesure how I'm happy to drive a MK3 !    ;-)
No need to say that you must put that relay in the bin and have light when you
brake !

Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com
Spitfire MK3, 1968, valencia blue, every day car
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire