Re[2]: headers,TR7s,Spitfires, TR6s, Stags

To: streeter@sanders.com, Godafoss@aol.com
Subject: Re[2]: headers,TR7s,Spitfires, TR6s, Stags
From: "Peter Mchugh" <PMCHUGH@mail.hq.faa.gov>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 96 08:24:52 EST
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
     Sure hate to flame this particular idea (TR-6 reliability) but suggest
     as one who owns one (TR-6) that like most cars, reliability is at
     least partially a product of owner care and maintenance....My current
     TR-6 (owned since 1980) has more than 160,000 miles, and except for a
     broken ignition rotor once, has never let me down.  The engine has
     never been apart, and although I've had the rubber suspension bushes
     replaced, all other maintenance on the car I've done myself.

     This last weekend (Friday) my wife and I, all necessary (her) baggage,
     the cooler, four person picnic table, two umbrellas and essential
     foodstuffs drove this daily driver from Fairfax to Waynesboro, to
     Richmond, to Williamsburg with an RON in Yorktown.  Did the usual
     tourist things, and drove back to Fairfax (Monday)...all at 65 (at
     least) miles per hour.  Now I'll admit to using a little more oil than
     one would like, and there is a slight pall of smoke when I really get
     on the accelerator to pass Stags (and other vehicles), but have had
     none of the overheating or warped head problems common with the
     Stag...fact is, one of the popular fixes for the Stag is to install a
     TR-6 engine...I suppose that didn't occur because that straight 6
     tractor engine is reliable?

     Flame out...

     PMQ

     73 TR-6
     72 GT-6*
     69 GT-6+ (2)*       * Also more reliable than Stags