TR2 mystery solved - TS4545L NOT TS45L

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR2 mystery solved - TS4545L NOT TS45L
From: mbarre@juno.com (Matt Barre)
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 18:48:01 PST
I went down and looked at the car today and the answer is...   it is
TS4545L.  The seller, Rick Fisher, told me over the phone during our
first converstaion that it  was TS45.  I don't theink he was trying to
pull a fast one, just didn't uncover all the numbers.  The engine in the
car is TS4888E.  He is an amature body worker (Isn't almost everyone in
Alabama?).  And the car is completely in primer.  I asked him how much
filler was on the car and pointed out some obvious areas on the nose
near the inlet.  He said he just "skimmed" a few wavy sections.  Later
he said he had cleaned up a few spots with rust holes.  The bottom line
is I have no idea about the quality or extent of the repairs (what is
under the bondo).  Looking from the bottom of the car there were some
ovbious holes in the floor towards the back where some metal had been
laid down inside and screwed into place.

I saw no obvious rust outs, damage, or repairs in the frame (from the
bottom with a flashlight).  I saw no bumpers - forgot to ask.  All of
the instruments were in place, one was aftermarket and he said he had
the original.  He fired the motor and it idled OK.  He said he had some
spares - doors, fenders, windshield, seats up in the loft - didn't see
them myself.  Car shows 30 somethink K miles.  He claims the car was
bought in Northern Alabama and when the owner died his son got the car
and it sat for years.  Jim got the car around 5 years ago and had it in
his garage.

The car has disc wheels w/ hubcaps.  I had never seen the TR2 master
cylinder arrangement before - different.  Bottom line the car looked
fairly complete but would need total rework.  How bad do you want a TR2?

Jim was impressed with the phone calls from Sweden, etc.  I explained
that a  <TS100 car would draw interest.  He said he had replaced the
ball joints with parts from Vicky Brit.  (Didn't look too new to me)  He
asked me what I thought the car was worth... I said certainly less than
what TS45L would be worth.  I also informed him that I paid $500 for my
TR3A that I would say was in similar shape -- as I roll into year 3 of
restoration.  If you are still interested call Jim 334 865 0310.  If you
have any questions about what I saw, fire away.  I should have shot some
video but didn't take the camera.

(End of LBC content)  The ride down to Grand Bay was nice.  Went by the
impressive ranch of Leroy Hill, a local coffee magnate.  It seems Mr
Hill is experiencing legal difficulties.  Something about buying some
land adjacent to his ranch from the school board or state.  Apparently
the court felt that there was cooperation involved in the very low
appraisal, questionable competing bids submitted by his employees, and
the fact that after he got the land, sold the timber for close to what
he paid for the land!!!!
Alabama has a colorful history of political intrigue!  The senate race
just heated up with some rather serious accusations.

Well, about time to turn on the Braves game!!!
MRB