Re: Triumph Italia....looking for Jamie Palmer

To: Rodney Orr <rodney@mindoro.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph Italia....looking for Jamie Palmer
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 1996 19:23:29 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, Hctcbob@aol.com
Hi, folks, it's me!  To begin with, I have applied to the VTR for the
vehicle consultant's position...not that I know that much more than
others, but I am certainly willing to put in the necessary time and
effort...and we do own two, and I don't know anyone else who uses one
for a daily driver!

Rodney Orr wrote:

> The first edition (1984) of Richard Newton's book, "Illustrated Triumph
> Buyer's Guide", noted that only around 300 were produced and thinks that the
> VTR has apparently been able to keep track of many, especially as most ended
> up in the USA.

Ok.  Not exactly correct, as only about 40 ever ended up on these
shores.  Actually, most stayed in Europe, Italy to be precise.  Just
under 300 were made, we know this thanks to some painstaking research
through the BMHIT records by Adrian Sinnott and Jorg (I forget his last
name right now).  Adrian was the former VTR vehicle consultant and knows
a great deal about the cars; Jorg owned/owns 5 Italias, including one
with less than 20km (!!!) on the odometer!!!

(BTW, the VTR no longer has an Italia expert in their list
> of consultants.)  Newton's 1994 edition doesn't mention them at all.
> Bill Piggott in "Original Triumph TR" devotes a 4-page spread with excellent
> colour photos of an Italia.  He suggests that maybe 320 were built and that
> spare body panels, and chrome work (presumably including the bumpers) are
> non-existent.

Correct.  As a matter of fact, I understand that those individuals that
bought the first 10-15 cars, imported by Stutz Plaisted Imports in the
Northeast, had to sign a waiver stating that they knew there would be no
trim or body panels imported.  This has led to a great deal of problems,
especially with windshields, when restoring an Italia.

BTW, I received an email from Jamie Palmer once about Bill
> Piggott's Italia example being very unoriginal.  Hopefully, you'll be able
> to track him down for the real scoop.
> Rod.  '70 TR6  CC55899L
>
> At 23:00 09/10/96 -0400, you wrote:
> >A friend is thinking about buying a Triumph Italia that is located in Arizona
> >or N.M.. The asking price is $6,000.  It is supposedly running and complete
> >short of the front bumper,  but it has non original paint color.

There are no unoriginal paint colors for the Italia...you could have one
in any color you wanted commercially available at the time.  However,
most were painted in Triumph-like, if not Triumph colors.

How
> >available is the bumper?

Totally unavailable.  However, I may be willing to loan a bumper to
anyone willing to have reproductions made...they are VERY thin for
bumpers, and rust EXTREMELY quickly...thus the situation with less
bumpers than Italias!

What is the price ranges on an Italia.  I assume
> >this is a 3 on a 5 scale. Any other info on Italias such as club contacts (I
> >know Jamie has 2 of these) would be helpful. TIA
> >Bob in Austin

Ok.  Italias run the gamut. (sp?)   The last one that changed hands that
I know of was a 5 on a one to 5 scale, purchased in VA about 2 years ago
for 18k.  Most seem to run about in the TR-3 range, and seem remarkably
incomplete!  As far as most of the trim goes, if other parts are
missing, I can probably at least help get you in the right direction, or
lead you to someone who knows more than I do.

Rust is the big thing...how rusty is it???  I imagine it would cost you
somewhere around 5-800 to have the bumper replicated from my example.
Personally, I would be interested in a rear bumper, as I only have one
for the two cars.

I love to talk Italia...anyone interested, including your friend, Bob,
can call me evenings (EST) at 919-639-4907.

Just FYI...Italias are mechanically the same as TR-3A's except for:
Metric gauges
4.1 or 4.3:1 diffs
Extra leaf in rear springs
Italian radiator and heater core/fan arrangement

Contrary to some reports, the last Italia's were built on the FIRST
series TR-3B chassis, TSF501 to TSF530.

Ok.  Enough...I tend to run on when talking Italia...  :)

Jamie