Re: Spitfire exhaust

To: svrx@c2i2.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire exhaust
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:22:05 -0400
Dennis-

I have tinkered a lot with my Spitfire exhaust systems.  Here's my humble
advice.

First, check your manifold gasket.  Your leak may be there (unless you have
located it for sure on the header somewhere).  Some manifolds/headers do not
correctly fit the pre-made gaskets and you have to get some exhause gasket
 material from a speed shop.  I did this and it works fine.

Also, since the routing of the pipe is very close to the frame, there is
little room for proper hangers that have adequate give.  As a result, the
engine movement in the mounts, and the vibration, tend to twist loose any
slip joint connections, leaving you with leaks

And the header may be difficult to remove without disconnecting the front
motor mounts (easy) and jacking up the motor slightly (not too hard).  Some
headers will not  fit down the side of the motor when the motor is in place.

Chances of you being able to weld up the header in place are about 50/50.
 Often the crack is hidden or in a place a welder is unwilling to work.
 Also, since tube headers are often thin and cheap, welding may not be
successful.  After the abuse of hot exhaust, the header may just burn
through, instead of welding up tight.  Takes some skill.

New headers are about $100.  I had a new exhaust built from the header back
for under $150.  All welded and custom bent with chrome tip on the back and
bolt up flange on the front.  nice.  Any good muffler shop should be able to
help.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian

79 Spitfire (with catalytic converter and Monza exhaust)
65 Spitfire (with custom built exhaust)
63 Consul Capri (with custom built exhaust)