Spit Bracket/Progress Update

To: Triumphs List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spit Bracket/Progress Update
From: "Vincenti, Ross" <VINCENR@transamerica.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 96 08:18:00 PDT
Encoding: 35 TEXT
Got the body for my Mk I Spitfire back from the paint & body shop today.
 OhmyGod - it looks phenomemnal!  Screaming red - everything is red, red,
red!!  I placed the body on the frame last night and suddenly realized how
small that thing is.  Several months of just working on the frame put
everything out of perspective.  Anyways, when I brought the body home I
discovered that I am now missing a small bracket and I need to know if
anyone out there has one available.

Early Spits attach the windscreen frame to the body by a pair of rods that
extend down from the lower outer edges of the windscreen frame itself.  The
rods go through two holes in the top of the body, and underneath the dashtop
there is a bracket (one per side) which bolts to the inner side of the panel
and has two tubular slots through which the rods of the windscreen frame
protrude.  There is a bolt on the end of the rod (if I recall correctly)
which one tightens to hold the windscreen down.  It turns out that the
bracket on the driver side of the car is missing and the body man swears it
is not in his shop.  I am almost positive I did not remove it myself (there
would be no reason to take it off), so I come to my quest.

Does anyone have an old, detachable-windscreen bodied Spitfire from which
they would be willing to remove and sell to me the windscreen bracket from
the drivers side?  After looking at the passenger side version it is clear
that I can fabricate one if necessary, but it would be a lot easier to
obtain a used one and bolt it in.  I would greatly appreciate it if someone
could spare one.  Thanks all.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)

p.s. - For you purists out there, I painted it (GASP!) Miata Red, not
Triumph's Signal Red.  The colors are almost identical, but the Miata Red is
just a tiny bit brighter and the paint was easy to obtain (and probably will
be for a long time).  Sorry to offend with the non-original color.
  Concours judges - feel free to dock me a point.