Re: Clutch Master (TR4)

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch Master (TR4)
From: token@ridgecrest.ca.us
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
Posted-date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 11:16:06 -0700 (PDT)
WDKLINE@aol.com wrote:

>TR4 Clutch Master Cylinder
>
>Having trouble with a clutch master cylinder hanging up.  The piston fails to
>return after the pedal is pushed.  I recently put in a new umbrella seal and
>new fluid - used DOT 3 brake fluid.  Piston and bore are good.  Spring
>appears OK.  It seems like the seal is hanging up in there.

 Well, a question, did you replace both seals on the piston?  I noticed that the
newer rebuild kits do not have the forward seal.  I had this same problem when
I tried to re-use the forward seal.  The answer (for me) was to remove this
forward seal, no problem as the later cylinders were shipped without this seal
anyway.
 If, on the other hand, you have already removed the forward seal (or your cyl
never had it) are you sure the umbrella seal is going in without the after edges
(the thin ends) getting rolled up?  Mine was doing this and it was easilly
solved using a thin (.002") feeler gauge as a "shoe horn" to help guide the
edges over the tapered mouth of the cylinder bore as the piston was inserted.

Hope it helps.

Darrell Leach,   KD6LRC   DM-15,   Ridgecrest, Ca
email: token@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us
1962 TR-4 (CT5368LO)    28,000 miles
1984 GL1200A GoldWing  128,000 miles  (go figure)