Re: TR3 Valve clearances

To: jer@thlogic.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR3 Valve clearances
From: Nickbk@aol.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 12:55:49 -0400

>       The other thing I've found is that the original service manual and
>the original owners manual disagree a lot.  The service manual says the
>intake valve clearances should be set to .010, and the exhaust to .012,
>whereas the owners manual says both the intake and the exhaust should be
>.010.  Anybody know why they'd disagree, and/or which is correct?

Jeremy-

The reason for the difference is due to the use of different rocker
pedestals. The early cars had steel pedestals and required the .012" setting.
The later cars used aluminum pedestals and use the .010" setting. The
different expansion rates of the different metals was responsible for the
change.You can easily check your car to see which type you have, just use a
magnet on the pedestals.

I have seen TR3's with the rack and pinion steering in them. To keep the bump
steer within a "normal" range the rack must sit about 4" above the frame
rails. This necessitates cutting away quite a bit of the inner fender panels.
You probably end up with nicer steering, but it affronts the visual senses.

The Car Curmudgeon
     Nick in Nor Cal