TR3 Valve clearances

Subject: TR3 Valve clearances
From: Jeremy DuBois <jer@thlogic.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 1996 09:44:14 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,

        I'm having lots of fun playing with my new TR3.  Currently I'm
learning how to get the front apron off the car so I can disassemble the
overly strange steering system and rebuild it.  Anybody know why they didn't
put rack and pinion on the TR3's?  Anybody know if you could fit a TR4
steering system on a TR3? (No, I wouldn't do it, just was curious if it
would fit).  But anyway, that's not why I'm writing to the list.
        I've got an original service manual for my TR3, but I'm beginning to
find that large portions of it don't make any sense.  One of these is the
section on setting the valve clearances.  It tells me to turn the crankshaft
until the "valves on any cylinder" just begin to "rock", then turn "it" a
complete revolution to be sure it's in the right place.
        Well, I tried my best to interpret those instructions, but it was
clear I didn't get them right, as the valves weren't where they were
supposed to be for me to set them.  So obviously I don't have any clue what
these instructions are telling me, but the ones in the Haynes manual for my
Spitfire are nice and clear.  Since both the Spit and the TR3 are 4 cylinder
engines with the same firing order, can I use the Spit instructions with the
TR3?  I figured I could, but thought it best to ask the list in case there's
some reason it wouldn't work.
        The other thing I've found is that the original service manual and
the original owners manual disagree a lot.  The service manual says the
intake valve clearances should be set to .010, and the exhaust to .012,
whereas the owners manual says both the intake and the exhaust should be
.010.  Anybody know why they'd disagree, and/or which is correct?

----
Jeremy DuBois                              jer@thlogic.com
Manager, Info Systems                      http://www.thlogic.com/~jer/
Thermalogic Corporation                    '60 TR3A, '74 MGB, '76 Spit