Beer in the Radiator--Honest

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, 72643.3026@compuserve.com, triumphs@autox.team.net, TETRIBA@wpogate.slu.edu, brucen@mtv.ten.com, Jerome.Wernow@oce.kuleuven.ac.be, meboe@wsunix.wsu.edu, Oehrle@lsil.com
Subject: Beer in the Radiator--Honest
From: SCHWANGAU@aol.com
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 1996 00:05:22 -0400
This is no joke.  It really happened to me the other day.

I'm trying to solve some cooling system problems on my 65 Spitfire.  I
noticed that the coolant recovery bottle was split, so I removed it and
sought a suitable replacement, short of getting out the catalog.  I was
having no luck rummaging around the garage, so I gave my attention briefly to
removing and straightening the bottle bracket.  As I was remounting the
bracket to the radiator frame, I noticed that the partly finished can of
Fosters in my left hand fit quite neatly into that bracket.  I think I
remember seeing this on some Mini or other goofed up LBC.  Cute, but goofy.
 What the heck, I thought.  Just then the phone rang.  It was one of my
employees with a minor crisis.  My mind shifted gears (as best it can after
working on a Fosters) and we solved the world's immediately problems in about
20 minutes.

By this time I am late to pick up some stuff a business down near the
airport.  They closed at 5 o'clock.  So I hurriedly checked the  radiator
coolant level and slipped on the clear overflow tube.  In my concern as to
the adequacy of its length, I forgot to empty the Fosters can.

So here I am, 15 minutes later, roaring down the freeway trying to beat the
worst of the rush hour traffic and I swear that the whole city smelled like
Chernoble had come to the local Schlitz plant.  But then I remembered that
the old Schlitz brewery had closed down years ago.  Had to be another source.
 Hmmm.  Then it all came together. . . . . Especially since my car is still
missing the gear shift boot.

Took days to get that smell of hot mash out of the cooling system.  Seemed to
have loosened a lot of rust in that old engine block, too.

Fosters.  I think I will leave it to the rugby fans.

Brian N.

79 Spitfire
65 Spitfire
63 Consul Capri