Re: Overdrive

To: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Subject: Re: Overdrive
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 07:54:20 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: jibrooks@juno.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 1 Oct 1996, Kevin O'Driscoll wrote:

> Jack,
> In the TR4/4A cars it is possible to swap transmissions between the
> non-overdrive version and the overdrive version.  In fact I am now in the
> process of such a conversion. I believe that this conversion is also
> possible on the TR3 series cars, but you may need to get an A (not a J
> type) overdrive to be period correct.

        Just to throw confusion into the fray, here. For you originality
        junkies... Remember! the numbers won't match.

        It is possible to add an overdrive to an exising NON overdrive
        tranny (did it myself). You need an OD output shaft, OD adaptor
        plate and, of course, the OD, proper relay and wiring to pull it
        off. My OD came out of a TR6 race car and has performed quite well.
        the only thing I ran into was I had to get a right angle drive
        for the speedo cable.

        GP

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois