Re: Low oilpressure

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Low oilpressure
From: Tom Tweed <ak627@dayton.wright.edu>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 1996 16:40:14 -0400
Hello Robert,

There might be two different problems here, low pressure and / or low flow.

Other Spitfire owners, I'll need help here, but if the rocker shaft is like
the one in the TR-6, it's hollow and feeds oil to the rockers, which drips
down from there along the pushrods and lubricates the cam lobes.  Oil feed
to the rocker shaft can be interrupted or restricted if the set-screw on
the shaft comes loose, allowing it to rotate, which then mis-aligns the oil
feed hole from the rear rocker shaft pedestal.  The results would be rapid
wear to the rockers as well as to the cam lobes, with #1 exhaust being the
very last one to get oil upon engine start-up.  Right so far ?

Robert says his cam was `revealed', does that mean inspected, maybe, or
replaced ?  If the oil pressure gauge reads in the normal range, but there
is still wear to the cam lobes / rockers, and if the Spit rocker setup is
as I am supposing here, could this be the problem ??

Best regards,
Tom Tweed
TR-250
SW Ohio