1977 Spitfire timing

To: postma@interaccess.com
Subject: 1977 Spitfire timing
From: Godafoss@aol.com
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 1996 23:30:13 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
For the Spitfire's timing question, the official spec is for 10 degrees BTDC
both static and dynamic Federal. California spec is 10 degrees BTDC static
and 2 deg ATDC dynamic.

At the risk of having the Smog Nazis come after me, I run my stock spec 1500
Spitfire engine 12-14 degrees BTDC. It runs best in that range, for my Calif
car. You may have a higher compression ratio than I if you are from out of
state.

Leave the vacuum retard hose connected when doing the timing.

I have never used a metric wrench on my Spitfire, but many versions of 7/16,
1/2, and 9/16 tools. Wait a minute, I once used a metric wrench, but only
once and cannot remember where!

Michael
Godafoss@AOL.com
1977 Spitfire