Silicone brake fluid

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Silicone brake fluid
From: bill <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 1996 11:32:03 -0700
Dear Angelo Graham,

I saw your request for feedback posted on the mailing list and
decided to write.  I have 3 Triumphs, a TR6 and 2 TR8s, all with silicone
fluids.  I've had silicone in the TR6 since 1989, after being extremely
frustrated with changing brake master cylinders and clutch masters every
2-3 years.  I was a little afraid of "ruining" something--but I don't
know why I felt this way.  The Castrol LMA had already ruined both
masters, eaten the paint under them and generally made a real mess!

I really didn't go to any great pains when I switched.  I flushed the
system, but nowhere near the amount that you hear people say you should.
Basically just drain the old stuff, pour the new stuff in and bleed
until new stuff comes out.  I guess maybe a quart to a quart and a half
total for a brake system.  I've done my three cars and a friend's TR8 and
have had excellent success.  I use CARTEL brand silicone fluid.  The ONLY
problem I've had with the fluid in the TR6 (in the longest) is that the
coloring added to the fluid has fallen out of suspension and lays in the
bottom of the reservoir.  But with no actual problems.  It has been this
way for about 3 years.

As for bleeding I have NEVER had any problems.  I use a Mity-Vac pump.
This has to be the best tool I've ever purchased.  Makes bleedings very
fast and easy, almost fun!

These are my experiences.  I've heard just the opposite from some who've
had bad experiences with silicone and others who swear by Castrol LMA.
For my money and time silicone is the only way to go.

 Bill Wood
 Greensboro, N.C.