TR Engine "roots"

To: gpetrola@prairienet.org, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR Engine "roots"
From: kedwards@norfolk.infi.net (Keith A. Edwards)
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 18:15:45 -0400 (EDT)
Greg "not a leak" Petrolati wrote last Thursday, referring to how his
neighbor "spotted my TR4's engine for it's Ferguson roots without
prompting".  Much SNIPping.

I haven't seen anybody else make a comment, so I guess I will.

I sort of understood it to be the other way around.  The basic engine used
in the TR2-4As ended up also being used in a Ferguson (and then
Massey-Ferguson) tractor.  Ferguson was another division of Standard at the
time, as I recall.  However, Ferguson saw an additional use for the Vangard
engine, deciding to put it in one of their tractors.

The engine was _not_ designed for a tractor, then also put in a car.  Let's
say the tractor and TR had a common ancestor, not that the engine "came out
of a tractor".

I hope I am not considered to be nitpicking, but I hate to so many people
talking about how the TRs got a "tractor" engine.  The engine was so good,
it could also be used in a tractor.

BTW, my favorite tractor engine (Farmall C) also had wet sleaves and piston
liners.  And when I went to a Massey-Ferguson dealer once, looking for valve
guides to match mine, they thought I was crazy.  My valve guides were _much_
smaller than any they carried.

Keith Edwards
Suffolk, VA
kedwards@norfolk.infi.net