Re: Choke cable question <322C7175.54A3@capital.edu>

To: Robert Paterson <rpaterso@capital.edu>
Subject: Re: Choke cable question <322C7175.54A3@capital.edu>
From: Berry Kercheval <kerch@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 1996 14:31:05 PDT
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, kerch@parc.xerox.com
>>>Robert Paterson said:
 > I have a "relatively" simple question, which shows my "newness" to this
 > area, regarding choke cable attachment and tension.
 >
 > My choke cable broke. I ordered a replacement and installed it. The
 > crimping of the cable to the part that fits into the knob came appart. I
 > am curious about the proper amount of resistance, or pressure, one must
 > exert to properly pull the choke.

I don't know what kind of car you havem but on my TR-6 it takes a fair amount
of pull to heave the throttles up onto the fast-running cam.  You may have a
crushed switch plinth from folks using it to rest their thumbs on to get more
oomph into the pull.

Don't do that or else your dash will look as crappy as mine does.

Instead, do what my DPO did NOT do and push the accelerator pedal to the
floor.  This gets the throttle wide open, and you can set the choke with ease,
and then let off on the pedal and the throttles will come DOWN onto the cam
instead of having to be pushed UP.

Hope this all makes sense.

  --berry

Berry Kercheval :: kerch@parc.xerox.com :: Xerox Palo Alto Research Center