TR6 paint guidelines (was Re: Early TR6 Paint Question) <31FF

To: Patrick McMullen <mcmullen@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
Subject: TR6 paint guidelines (was Re: Early TR6 Paint Question) <31FFF0AB.7BB9@isnet.is.bgsm.edu>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 18:40:35 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

The below message started off as simply a response to Patrick's question,
but has evolved into the starting point of a "Painting Guide to TR6s".
Please send me comments, so I can put together a guide on painting a
TR6.

Patrick McMullen wrote:

> ONLY the 1969 TR-6's had the windshield frame painted the same color as
> the car.  Every year after that they were painted black.  The back panel
> between the tail lights should be black on all the TR-6s.

While we're on color-matching, what kind of black is this on a TR-6?  My
car appears to have a "semi-flat" or "matte" black on it, but my car has
been repainted by a DPO.

I touched my paint up pretty well using a spray can of Krylon "semi-flat"
black, to paint over places where some DPO had used baling wire to hold
the exhaust on.  This baling wire had scraped the black paint away, where
it had been painted over the red paint underneath (in the area below the
bumper, which *should* have been left body color, anyway)  In any case,
the Krylon "semi-flat black" was an excellent match to what was already
on my car.

What would an original TR-6 have there?

By the way, I'm going to try to compile a "Painting Guide to TR6s" for
the VTR WWW pages.  (Plus, I have to repaint my TR-6 at some point before
too long, so I need to figure this all out anyway...)

Here is what I have collected, or am aware of, so far.  Please add to it,
as needed, and I'll put this on the VTR WWW pages for posterity.
(Similarly, if others want to produce lists for other TRs, there's plenty
of space on the VTR pages...)  Please note that everything typed below is
from memory, and, as such, is probably laden with errors!   Please point
them out to me!  I'd also like to add paint codes for modern (or old)
paints wherever possible.  All of this information has got to be out
there, for those attempting restorations...

=============

This article is supposed to serve as a paint originality guide for a TR6.
Currently, this is still in the form of a very rough draft, simply to
serve as a "straw man" to be attacked by the readers on
"triumphs@autox.team.net"

TR-6 Paint Guidelines (DRAFT TEMPLATE)

Body Colors:

  What I would like to have here is a table of color codes (see the
  following one-line example)

  Color Code    Color Name      Years Used              Modern Matches
  ----------    ----------      ----------              --------------
    32 (?)      Signal Red      1969-1972 (?)           ???

Body Painting:

  On the TR6, all of the body panels are painted the primary body
  color, including bulkhead under/behind dash, floors, seats, area inside
  trunk, light recesses, etc.  (Basically, the whole body, stripped, was
  painted body color.)

  On 1970-1976 TR6s, the windshield surround was then painted semi-flat
  black.  This paint was applied over body color.  (True/false?)

  On 1969-1976 (all) TR6s, the rear valence inside of the "body ridges"
  was painted semi-flat black, including some (all?) of the rear portion
  of the boot lid.  (Where *exactly* does this paint start/stop?)  This
  paint was applied over body color.

  On 1969-1976 (all) TR6s, undercoating was applied in all four wheel
  wells, over body color.

  Pinstriping?  Is there a standard for this?  Most TR6s that I've seen
  have some, and don't all seem to be the same.

Frame:

  Don't know for sure what was done here, but whole frame on my
  car seems to be a semi-flat black.

  What color were bumper mounts?

Interior:

Engine Compartment:

        This section will end up being awfully complicated...

        Valve Cover (1969-1976) painted silver.  (which variety, which
        years?)

        Engine block ???
        Exhaust Manifold?
        Intake Manifold?
        Brake Booster?
        Body Number Plate?
        Radiator?
        Radiator Stays?
        Frame in engine compartment?
        Wiper Motor?
        Oil Filter Cover?

        etc...

Wheels:
        1969-1972       Silver wheels, black centers
        1973-1976       Silver wheels, silver centers
        ???             Silver wheels, grey centers???
        ???             grey wheels, grey centers???

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer
'74 TR6 Daily Driver

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631