Re: Sports & Classics grief

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, tr8@mercury.lcs.mit.edu
Subject: Re: Sports & Classics grief
From: billsohl@planet.net (Bill Sohl)
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 17:00:10 -0500
Cc: british-cars@autox.team.net
Someone wrote:
>The refund to my Visa account was not issued until I threatened legal action.
>I believe it would never have been issued had I not resorted to such an
>extreme and they were simply unresponsive to any other logic or reason.
>Simply stated, they would say anything to get the order and promise anything
>to later get you off the phone once you had paid. Long relationships with
>established vendors are certainly to be valued. IMHO, S&C is not an
>"established vendor," worthy of our dollars.

When in doubt about any vendor, it is always better to use a credit
card because thee card company can also be used as a means to go
after the business if the business doesn't delivery what you
wanted.

Someone also mentioned that S&C wouldn't refund their money when they
received the wrong brake pads.  Frankly, in my opinion, the vendor had
not delivered what was ordered and should have refunded the money
because they had failed to execute the order.  It might also be
worthwhile for those that mentioned various problems with S&C to
forward copies of their problems to tthe Connecticut Better
Business Bureau.

As an additional note, if you order parts (especially by mail) then
the vendor/business has an obligation to deliver in a prompt fashion.  If
the item(s) are not available, then you have an absolute right to
a refund...you do not need to wait until a back order is filled.
Generally, a reasonable time is 30 days.  If the vendor can't deliver
in that time or otherwise states that the order for some type of part will
require more time, then you are entitled to
a refund.

Use of a credit card can help aleviate much of the grief as mentioned above.
If you order a list of parts, you should specify that you DO NOT
want your card charged for parts that are not shipped.  That puts you
in charge of the situation.  If a vendor charges your card when they
couldn't or didn't ship the parts, then you might even be able to
claim fraud.

I have ordered mail order and telephone credit card orders from The Roadster
Factory, Moss and Vicky Brit and have never had a charge against my credit
card for an item that was out-of-stock.

The only time an item might be charged to a credit card ahead of time
is if the item is a special order (i.e. a custom made item).  But even in
that case, you should get delivery within a time frame agreed to ahead of
time by way of the advertised delivery time if greater than 30 days.

Cheers,
Bill Sohl   Budd Lake, NJ   billsohl@planet.net
----
Visit the Mount Olive Township Republican Party Home page at:
    http://www.cns-nj.com/mtolive