Vicarious Thrills

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Vicarious Thrills
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 10:15:21 -0400 (EDT)
Friends,
Thanks for posting the highlights of VTR for those of us who didn't brave
driving up on Sat. in 6 inches of rain during tropical storm Bertha.  I
for one was sorely disappointed that the outdoor show was cancelled. Oh
well, I am going to need another year or so for my restoration anyway,
due to depletion of funds and spare time.  Incidently, although I have yet
to drive the TR4A, she is sometimes more fun to spend time with than my
wife, but astoundingly, I have found has an even higher maintenance quota.
Hmm, there must be something of the masochist in my personality makeup
going on here, I had better talk to my analyst about this...
        But seriously, in my efforts to make her a good-looking driver and
not just a showpiece (the 4A that is), I am concerned about the
deterioration of the sealer/vibration damping compound that was originally
used to fill cracks and placed between metal surfaces such as underneath
the master cylinder bracket.  Is anyone familiar with what modern caulking
agent would be appropriate as a substitute for the original putty-like
substance?    When the car was manufactured, they put this stuff
everywhere, and I imagine that it will reduce the rattles that
plague older LBCs if it is restored along with the rest of the car.
Best Regards
-Kevin
CT74,666, TR4A in progress
P.S. Thanks to Pat Leask for sending the color photocopies of his gorgeous
4A in red, blue and hot pink!  It gives me something to aspire to, and
furthermore, now I understand why your wife got jealous about having "the
other woman" hanging around in your bedroom.