Re: TR6 - Oil Filter Conversion <960728094957_165938318@emou

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6 - Oil Filter Conversion <960728094957_165938318@emout15.mail.aol.com>
From: Ken Streeter <streeter@sanders.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 1996 09:46:50 -0400
Cc: streeter@sanders.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
JoeSimcoe@aol.com wrote:

> Our next mechanical project may be converting from the original OIl Filter to
> the new adaptor w/ spin on Filter.
>
> Would anyone care to give me the Pro's and Con's of this conversion along
> with how difficult it is, things to watch out for and the aftermarket filter
> of choice that fits the best in that small space.

I don't recall all the specifics, but bought a kit because it sounded like
the experiences with the spin-on filter were all positive, and I don't
particularly like the 5-second delay from engine start to pressure at the
gauge.

However, there is some concern that if the spin-on adapter is not correctly
installed, oil will leak past the internal gasket, allowing unfiltered oil
back into the engine.  This probably isn't too bad, as long as the leak is
small, as the same oil that is unfiltered on one time around will probably
be filtered on the next pass, assuming that say, only 10% of the oil is
slipping past the adapter.  The consensus seemed to be to use grease to hold
the internal gasket in place while mounting the conversion filter, to try to
help avoid this.

However, when I went to install the kit in my TR6 last fall, I found that
the fuel line was routed right through the middle of where the spin-on
filter would go.  At that time, I opted to delay the conversion, and simply
put in a standard filter element instead.  Since then, I've been waiting to
get "a round tuit" in order to finish the conversion, but have found them to
be on backorder at all of the major parts suppliers.  :-) :-)

> P.S.  -  Grace gave me a great picture of her and her 74 TR6 for my birthday
> - do we have anyplace to post GIF's on a Triumph server???  (Team.Net - VTR -
> SOL ????)

I'll take them on the VTR WWW server for the TR6 photos pages...

--ken
VTR WWW Maintainer

Kenneth B. Streeter         | EMAIL: streeter@sanders.com
Sanders, PTP2-A001          |
PO Box 868                  | Voice: (603) 885-9604
Nashua, NH 03061            | Fax:   (603) 885-0631