Re: Spitfire Speedo

To: Bill Munts <muntsb@HiWAAY.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Speedo
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 1996 11:57:24 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Fri, 26 Jul 1996, Bill Munts wrote:

> On 7/25/96 5:26PM, in message

> Could this be the problem with the speedo in my Spit?
>
> For the 3 years I have been driving this car the speedo has been about 25%
>high
> and the needle tends to hunt a little.  I made sure that the tires had the
> correct revs per mile as compared to original, and I know the diff is
>correct.
> I am not sure that the speedo is correct.  The speedo is labled as follows:
>SN
> 6203/34A  1248.  I understand that the 1248 is the revs per mile factor.
>Does
> anybody know if this is the correct speedo for a 1970 MKIII Spitfire without
> O/D?  Since this car sat in a junk yard for a long time before I rescued her,
> I'm beginning to think a look inside the speedo is in order.  Sounds like a
> good weekend project to me!

I think you are on to something with the speedo unit itself. Keep in mind
that besides the tire and rear-end factor, there are also different
transmission ratios and also different speedometer driven gears in the
transmossion to allow for different ratios to be achieved. I'm not a
Spitfire expert, but it is possible that you have a transmission that is
not original...

On TR6's, I have seen cars with the wrong speedos in them. For
instance I have seen O/D TR6's with the wrong unit (I forget the
numbers, but the O/D TR6 uses a different speedo (I think). People
following me tell me I'm going really fast, when I know that my indicated
speed is correct to within a small percentage, may 1 or 2 percent. But
I'm never going as fast as they think I am ;-). No speeding tickets ever.

> Thanks for all of the help...this list is great!
>
> Can't tell if I'm driving faster than my angles can fly!
>
> Bill M.
> 1970 MkIII Spitfire

rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...