Spitfire Speedo

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU (Bob Lang)
Subject: Spitfire Speedo
From: muntsb@HiWAAY.net (Bill Munts)
Date: Fri, 26 Jul 96 15:13:08 GMT
On 7/25/96 5:26PM, in message

Bob Lang wrote:

> Regarding the bouncing speedo.
>
> The speedo works via spinning magnets. This is an important point.
>
> If you grease the cable, especially with the wrong grease, it'll bubble
> up the cable and squirt all over the inside of your speedo. If you have a
> real bad case of grease spooge, you car will travel at incredible
> indicated speeds. I got zero to 160 MPH in less than half a second. Talk
> about pushing you back in the seat!
>
> Of course the problem is that the grease winds up sticking the inside
> rotating thingie to the outside rotating thingie and thus the wierd
> indicated speeds.

Could this be the problem with the speedo in my Spit?

For the 3 years I have been driving this car the speedo has been about 25% high
and the needle tends to hunt a little.  I made sure that the tires had the
correct revs per mile as compared to original, and I know the diff is correct.
I am not sure that the speedo is correct.  The speedo is labled as follows:  SN
6203/34A  1248.  I understand that the 1248 is the revs per mile factor.  Does
anybody know if this is the correct speedo for a 1970 MKIII Spitfire without
O/D?  Since this car sat in a junk yard for a long time before I rescued her,
I'm beginning to think a look inside the speedo is in order.  Sounds like a
good weekend project to me!

Thanks for all of the help...this list is great!

Can't tell if I'm driving faster than my angles can fly!

Bill M.
1970 MkIII Spitfire