Static Timing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Static Timing
From: peb3@cornell.edu (Philip E. Barnes)
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 1996 14:26:15 +0100
Cc: McGaheyRx@aol.com
If I understand it, static timing involves setting the crankshaft/piston to
some position as indicated on the pulley. (Remember that there are two
TDC's for each cycle. You want the top of the compression stroke.) One then
sets the rotational orientation of the distributor so that the points just
open, allowing the field in the coil to collapse and a spark to be
generated. This eliminates any effects of mechanical or vacuum
advance/retard devices. Please, correct me if I am wrong. This is
essentially the way I set the timing on my car with the Crane electronic
unit and it runs fine.

Philip E. Barnes       '71 TR6  CC61193L
Cornell University
Newman Laboratory of Nuclear Studies
Ithaca, NY 14853
607-255-4951