Re: TR-6 gearbox woes.

To: kerch@parc.xerox.com
Subject: Re: TR-6 gearbox woes.
From: morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 16:20:50 -0500 (CDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Berry,

I've rebuilt the trany and replaced every thing on the clutch from the pedal
to the flywheel, on my 76 TR6.  From what I recall...

[snip]
> Secondly, bearing in the tail housing didn't fit over the output shaft.  Is
> this supposed to be a hammer-it-on fit?

Yes, with a soft metal drift.

> Thirdly, since the box was out I decided to replace the clutch.  The new
> clutch came with a pilot bushing that doesn't fit into the flywheel.  The
> vendor says I have to take the flywheel off to install the new bushing; is
> this right?

I don't know about this one since that is one component I've not delt with yet.
Who is the vendor?

> cross-shaft doesn't seem to fit.  With the fork OFF the shaft it screws into
> the fork just fine, but when I place it into the hole in the shaft it won't
> in far enough to engage the threads in the fork.  I can tap it with a hammer
> but it sticks, still not engaging threads, and I have to use a drift to get
> back out.  THe vendor says just force it in, but I'm reluctant to do that; it
> seems wrong.  Is he right?  DO I just need to whack it good?  I don't think
> the threads will turn at all if I do that.
>
> THis is a "new" cross-shaft and fork [snip]

Make sure the bore in the cross-shaft is smooth.  I found a burr in mine,
causing a similar problem.  It still requires some tapping to set it far
enough to mate the threads.

Have fun.....

Mike Morelli
NASA Johnson Space Center