Re: Spit missing at speed<960722180658_243190206@emout07.mail.aol.com>

To: CBrown1500@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spit missing at speed<960722180658_243190206@emout07.mail.aol.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 10:58:15 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
[Snip]
> Wow, it's the day for mystery problems just like mine!  I have the same
>thing, but
> at ~73 mph (~4200 rpm), only in fourth and only after about 10 minutes
>driving that
> speed.  It also seems to go away from time to time.  Of course, I generally
>don't
> drive for ten minutes at 4200 except on the highway in fourth...
> The problem seems to be fuel-related in my case.  If I slow down by 10 mph
>and
> drive for a few minutes, I can speed back up again for a while.  Then it
>happens
> again a few minutes later.
> There are no strange noises.  It's not suspension or brake related.  I have
>pulled
> over and checked the coil - it's warm but not hot >>

I have had a problem that was very similiar to this, although I have twin SU's,
so it may be different. But anyway, my '73 Spit MkIV developed a missfire at
high(ish) rev's, which I couldn't track down for ages, eventually, whilst
looking in the carb throats with the filters off, I noticed that the front
carb's damper was rising at a different rate to the rear one's when I revved
the engine, I then noticed that the front carb's throttle spindle had worn
ito the body of the carb causing a 'big' air leak, so I changed the carb body
and the problem disappeared.

Rich
Northampton
England.