RE : Rocker assy external oil feed

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE : Rocker assy external oil feed
From: Francois Demont <100304.2046@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 20 Jul 96 09:28:46 EDT
Cc: Karl Theis <THESKJ@edex.litc.lockheed.com>
Karl Theis wrote
>>>A while back I purchased one of those new-fangled external oil feed kits that
supposedly get more oil to the rocker arm assembly. [...then leak problem...]
A)  What is the consensus of this list on the merits of these external oil feed
kits?<<<

Every Spitfire/GT6 I've seen with an oil system *in good working order* seemed
to have enough oil in the rocker arm. It's easy to verify, opening the oil cap
on the rocker cover. If the engine is running, you have a chance to receive oil
in the eye, spurting out of that small holes on the rockers. And idle is enough
for that effect...
So why do we need to have more oil to the rocker arm assembly? (except for
competition purposes, another long story...)
If we take a part of the pressure near the oil pump, to put it directly to the
rocker arm (with that kind of kit), we will have less pressure to the
crankshaft, rods,... or am I wrong ?
Of course it's only my opinion, but it seems one day someone (a vendor ?) has
seen how easy it was to open these external accesses to the oil circuit, and
said "what could I do with that? Oh Yes, take pressure here and put pressure
here !"

'Amicalement'
Francois Demont 100304.2046@compuserve.com
Spitfire MK3, 1968, valencia blue, every day car
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire