TR4 A "IRS" Rear drive train clunk

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 A "IRS" Rear drive train clunk
From: pleask@mailhost.wlc.com (Pat Leask)
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 1996 18:12:58 -0700
Like the subject says, I have a '66 TR4 A "IRS" (For those of you who don't
know me). When I'm driving along, say 20 MPH and lift off the gas pedal, and
or put down the gas pedal there is a "Clunk" at the back end. I know it is
not the bolts/rubbers that hold up the diff., as I redid those last year (my
winter project). The Trans is also a new rebuild jobby. The Diff has also
been redone.

I have ck'd the universals and they seem to be okay, nothing out standing
for slop. But is it possible that all the universals togeather may produce
this slop ?

Where else could a power transfer take place in the back end that would or
could produce slop when the gas is put on or off. O, BTW, I'm not taling
about punching it, just taking the foot off the gas pedal as one would start
to slow down about 20 - 30 MPH or so.

Thanks. Pat