Re: Alternator pulley

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Alternator pulley
From: dan parslow <DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 1996 9:18:56 -0700 (MST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, DJP@ALPHA.SUNQUEST.COM
>I'm in the process of putting on a new alternator.  What is the best way to
>get the pulley off of the old one??  I started to stick a screw driver in
>the fins to hold them still as I torqued on the nut, but this seemed like it
>might do damage to the fins so I stopped.  Now what?

It does do damage to the fins.  Anything that rotates quickly and
has openings around the rim must be carefully designed to avoid
howling or whistling.  Remember those yo-yos you could buy as a
kid that had holes drilled around the rim and would whistle as
they spun?  Sirens work on the same principle.  Tire tread is
designed with uneven spacing between the grooves to prevent this.

The long and short of it is that even a slight bend in your alternator
fan can cause it to become very noisy.  I had a terrible time pulling
mine, and yes, I damaged the vanes and yes, it does whistle now.  New
owner John Hazelton is now stuck with this problem (hi John).

I suggest using an old fan belt, clamped tightly with a vise grip.

Wiser,
- Dan