Spitfire Radius Arm Bracket

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire Radius Arm Bracket
From: "Keith R. Stewart" <kstewart@icis.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 19:46:19 -0400
Oh great sadness.  I took the '70 Spitfire Mk3 for a safety check so
that I could get it licenced and it FAILED!  The DPO had patched the
floors by pop riveting thin metal in place and then coating the entire
floor with tar.  This winter I will replace the floors and sills
with proper sheet metal, but for the summer, I was hoping to get
enough of a quick and dirty repair to be able to enjoy it.

I cleaned out the tar, removed much of the thin metal repairs and welded
proper steel to the remaining good sections of the floor.  It seems that
I missed an area on the heel-board where the bracket to attach the
radius arm supporting the rear suspension is located.  The mechanic
failed the car for this and another section of floor that I didn't even
touch because it was so heavily coated with tar...he pushed the pop
riveted sections right out.

Has anyone repaired the radius arm support area?  Easy?  Difficult?
Tips?
Thanks for your usual great help and sage advice.
--

    _       _
   | \     / |        Keith R. Stewart
   |  \   /  |        75 Camden Road