RE: Spitfire Rear camber Question to group.....

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Spitfire Rear camber Question to group.....
From: Alan Coleman <alanco@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 96 10:52:04 PDT
Hi,
>Question 1 ) How much camber is too much ? or is this camber always going to
>be there?

It'll always be there.  More than enough is often too much ;-)
>Question 2 ) What kind of mileage should I expect to get out of the rear
>tires ?
I've gone 10,000 on mine with no noticable uneven wear.

>Question 3 ) Does anyone have a good idea as to correcting this problem? I
>know it's due to the rear spring, But, is there any modifications you can do
>for it?
First, replace or rearch the rear spring, and replace all the bushings etc.
I've
heard that worn trunnions will also make this worse.  In addition, the trailing
arms play a big role in the camber, and replacing the rubber bushes with
polyurethane is rumored to make them straighter.

I replaced the spring on my '79 spit a couple of years ago, and they still look
fine (which means when I look at the car dead-on rear they seem just a wee bit
too
splayed, and when I look at the car from a slight angle they look alarmingly
splayed).

When I stood the new spring next to the old one, the new one stood about 2-3
inches
higher in the middle, and they're not that radically arched!  Of course,
replacing
them is very frustrating, indeed, requiring much profanity.

AC