re: Knock, Knock ? Whos there, A Spit !

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net"@tin
Subject: re: Knock, Knock ? Whos there, A Spit !
From: lesnyd@bb1t.monsanto.com (Larry E. Snyder lesnyd@monsanto.com 314-694-3626)
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 08:09:29 -0500
>Has Anyone ever removed an oil Pan with motor still in the car, on a spit ?

Been there. Done that.

>I have a Slight Knock, I want to slide a set of bearings in for the summer.
>When I get back to school, I'll have the students pull the motor and do a
>complete O.H.

Make sure you know where the knock is coming from - I had one and it was a
bad small end bushing. Sliding in new bearings won't help there!

>I need to know if it's possible and what has to be done to get the pan down
>in the car.

It's very possible. Some of the pan bolts are kind of a pain to get at, but
all are sufficiently accessible.  I'd recommend pulling the head and removing
the pistons/rods and checking the small end bushings. Of course, then you'll
have to put on new rings, hone the cylinders... Well, maybe you should
just pull the engine!

>Thanks
>
>John P Spofford
>
>Automotive Vocational Instructor