Re: Hello<9606018362.AA836228287@mailgate.sands.com>

To: Linus.Surguy@uk.drsolomon.com
Subject: Re: Hello<9606018362.AA836228287@mailgate.sands.com>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 1996 14:09:38 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>     Hi, - I just re-read your mail, and noted that you did indeed say MPH
>     not KMH when refering to 110mph in your spitfire. Now I have a 1500
>     (without overdrive), and I'm sure we are talking serious red-lining
>     for that, *so* what have you done to it! Enquiring minds want to know!

Basically, it's a STANDARD MkIV Spitfire with O/D, Top gearing equals 20.8 mph
per 1000 revs, theoretically, at the red line in top I would be doing
124.8mph(Dream), 110mph was in top but I didn't get to see the rev counter as I
daren't take my eyes off the road, But I imagine that in reality I was perhaps
nudging a 'ton' as I think the revs were about 5000rpm, but the 110mph on the
speedo sounds better eh!!!  I think, if the hill had been a bit longer and the
road a bit clearer then I 'may' have seen 115mph on the speedo, unless of cause
the engine went 'bang' in a big way......:-)

Of course, my speedo may be way out, and I could've been only doin' 80-90, but
the way I was overtaking everything, I think not!!!  :-)

>     I have been considering fitting a 3.27:1 diff instead of the 3.89:1
>     standard one to get more speed for the revs, (would make it about the
>     same as a spit with overdrive), but I'd be interested in what else can
>     be done.

Are you in the U.S, if not then your Spit should have a 3.63 diff, that would
up your gearing to around 18-19 mph per 1000 without O/D, and about 22.5 with
O/D.  As to what else could be done, well......you could always drop in an
MX5(Miata) engine in it......:-) (Huge smiley)

>     I'm not so much after a huge top speed, but more to mellow the thing
>     at 75-80 so my girlfriend doesnt complain so much!!

I would personally think that a 3.27 diff would kill of any acceleration that
you may have, so the 3.63 would probably be a better compromise, although I'm
not sure whether the U.S got this ratio!!

Bye Bye

Rich