Re: More Zoommmm!

To: Michael Spray <mspray@bwdldb.ott.bnr.ca>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net(bnr400)'" <triumphs@autox.team.net (bnr400)>
Subject: Re: More Zoommmm!
From: "Chris Boston" <spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 29 May 1996 14:44:05 +0100 "More Zoommmm!" (May 29, 9:23am)
> Subject: More Zoommmm!
> I'm the proud new owner of a "barely used" '78 Spit.  In addition to a
> couple of new gaskets, plugs, wires, cap & rotor I've added a great set
> of new tires (the car hadn't been used since 1985 so the original rubber
> was "well aged" to put it kindly).  What I need now is some more speed.
> Its all stock which I understand means its under carburated?
> Performance being an objective, I've considered straight through
> exhaust, and a larger carburetor.  Any comments/suggestions/words of
> wisdom?
>
> Cheers
>
> Mike
>-- End of excerpt from Michael Spray

Hi Mike,

Congrats. on your new baby.

The general wisdom about more oomph! is to put a free-flow manifold, twin
exhaust and SK Pancake Airfilters on.

You don't say which carb(s) you have, I have the standard (UK) twin HS4 set up
and am happy with the power they give, if you have a single stromberg or
something similar, consider the change (about 200 sterling for a pair of new
SUs), alternatively if you have the money, go for a pair of Webber 40s or 45s,
but initially I should try the exhaust/air-filter upgrades.

Get hold of a Triumph-Tune catalogue (available over here from MOSS) for the
real dirt on better performance.

just my 2p.

Happy upgrading,

Chris.

--
-- 1977 Spitfire 1500...Everyday/Only Driver.