TR6 Compression Test Results

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Compression Test Results
From: Bob Lang <LANG@ISIS.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 23 May 1996 11:21:41 -0500 (EST)
Hi,

The numbers aren't that bad, but I have two suggestions.

If the car has really been sitting for a while, you might have leaky
valves or some such. To really know why the compression varies, you shuld
do a "leak down" test. It's worth the time and effort because you might
think you need a valve job, you take it all down and put it all back
together and Viola! you still get two cylinders with 110. If that is that
case, guess what? It was the rings. Do a leak-down test.

You mentioned the car sputters at idle. This is indicative a sticky or
poorly seated valves. You also mention sputtering under acceleration.
This could be a weak carb mixture. There could be all kinds of reasons
for this, like worn carb shafts or missing/cracked/broken vacuum lines etc.

Either way, don't play with the carbs 'till you know why the compression
os "off". And while you are poking around under the hood, look for bad
vacuum lines.

Zoom Zoom,
rml
Bob Lang                Room 11-221            | This space for rent.
Voice: (617)253-7438    FAX: (617)258-9535     |
url: http://web.mit.edu/afs/athena.mit.edu/user/b/l/blang/www/home.html
Quote: You'll have to talk to my attorney about that topic...