Help! My 72 TR6 gets only 10 mpg!

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Help! My 72 TR6 gets only 10 mpg!
From: tlund@ilhawaii.net (Tom Lund)
Date: Sun, 31 Mar 1996 16:37:21 -1000
I just started writing down odometer readings when I fill up to see
what my mpg is. (the trip meter doesn't reset properly) The last fill up
took 6 poiint something gallons and according to the odo numbers, I
only drove 66 miles! Shouldn't I be getting about 20 or so mpg?

I assume the odometer works but will check on a measured mile. The
gas gauge doesn't work properly: After fill up, it reads about 5/8 full;
I fill it when its almost on E and get between 6 and 7 gallons (Bentley
says the 72 US version holds 12.3 US gallons.) I assume the bad gauge
readings are due to a bad or incorrect voltage stabilizer.

I've only been driving the car for a few months. It has been sitting in my
garage for over a year waiting for some work. When the engine in my
truck blew, I had to get the TR running for transportation.

When I first tried to start it (with air filters off) gas GUSHED out of
one of the holes in the rear ZS carb. I turned it over several times and
gas kept pouring out. Later that day, a friend came by and I asked him
to look at the carb to see which hole the gas was coming from. When
I turned it over, no gas came out! A bit later, it started and seemed to
run fine. Lots of black smoke at first, but now the exhaust seems to be
clean. I patched up the electrical the DPO messed up so I could get it
inspected and registered to be legal and have driven it daily since. Not
many miles driven since I work at home and live in a small town - usually
quick trips to the grocery store, bank, etc.

Where should I begin? I don't see any evidence of gas on my driveway
or garage floor. I haven't pulled the air filters off to see if it is still
spitting
gas out of that hole. Mixture too rich? It seems to run fine and I don't
see any black smoke. My clutch is starting to slip badly (another story!)
but I try to baby it and can't imagine a bit of over revving could account
for the poor mpg. Carb rebuild time?

Any help in getting me started in the right direction will ge GREATLY
appreciated.

Thanks.........Tom