autos owned - old people & cars

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: autos owned - old people & cars
From: Scott McGibney <aa372@sfn.saskatoon.sk.ca>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 1996 10:30:32 -0600 (CST)
Seemed like a silly thread when it started but damned if it didn't dredge
up a whole slew of memories so here goes:

59 Vauxal (sp?) - first car - an in-law still runs it as a daily commuter

62 Ford F-100 camper - bought when I worked construction as a student summer
job and realized this was cheaper than living in motels and restaurants -
also responsible for honing my cooking skills.

65 VW bug - actually sig. others car - she left, it didn't. One of the
few cars I haven't watched roll away with regret.

70 Datsun 510 - sports car in a box! Bought for $800 and driven all over
North America.

78 Chev van - my first new vevicle. Hauled ski teams all over North
America (I was a coach for 15 years) - lived hard, died young (Mountains
are hell on transmissions).

86 VW GTI - I loved this car - great teutonic character - my street
warrior. Somebody offered me too much money for it - almost cried as it
drove away.

90 Acura Integra - a marvel of engineering and efficiency - carries us
quickly and comfortably - but its got no soul whatsoever.

71 Triumph GT6 Mk3 - wanted one since I was a teenager and GT6s were
brand new (hence the tie with the 'old people & cars' thread) - found this
one in need of a home. Love the feel, the sound, the smell, the look -
everything about it. Being rebuilt this spring to be autoxed and driven with
 glee and abandon.

(omitted lots of motorcycles, trucks, and daily drives of no consequence)