Re: Bearing clearances

To: TTone007@aol.com
Subject: Re: Bearing clearances
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 96 23:48:13 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Mark,
>I just got on the list today & don't know how to post to it yet. Can you
>help?
>
>I rebuilt my 74 TR-6 about 3 seasons ago and I have these clearances as
>MAINS: .0015-.0025 and RODS: .0025 I had a shop take  my crank down  a bit,
>used undersized Vandervall bearings (or is it oversized.. I can't remember
>the proper term), balanced it with the flywheel, replaced both timing gears,
>chain,tensioner, relief valve, cam, and the lifters too.
>
>The oil pump was ok and the deck was flat. I did not need to bore the
>cylinders as they were fine after 85K miles. I did check rod weight so they
>were all +/- 7 grams of each other. I took an engine rebuilding class at the
>local JR college to do this job. They had all the tools lifts etc.. so this
>worked out well. I had the shop replace the valve guides but I didn't do the
>seats. At school I did the head and valves in one morning myself.
>
>I have seen rebuilds on TR's go bad because the enthusiast did not wash the
>block out carefully with soap , water, and scrub brush after getting it back
>from being hot tanked. There is still micro-grit in there so be aware! I also
>replaced head studs and even had to Helicoil one of them. I also chamfered
>the head stud holes.
>
>I used grey cam lube on final assy. and it started on the first try. I kept
>it idling at 2k for about 20 min for the sake of the cam. During this period
>a few of the new freeze plugs leaked slightly then sealed right up on their
>own. Knock on wood, it's been running great ever since and I even was the
>fastest stock TR at the1995 national VTR autocross last year!
>
>My engine rebuild was needed because the carbs ran too rich due to worn
>needles. I found lots of fuel ladden oil everywhere inside (grey silty
>stuff). The previous owner had driven it with the funky carbs too long. One
>more bit of advise: put an extra coat of engine enamel on for me. Mine looks
>kinda dull as I only put on 2 coats!!
>
>Good Luck,
>(Mike Konopka)  T Tone 007@aol.com

Mike,
 For not being familiar with how to post, I'd say you did a pretty good job.
 It's interesting that you chose to go to such great lengths to learn the
proper way to do an engine.
 Hang in there and buy lots of LBCs (little or lovely or lousy or
licentious or lovable British Cars) so you can put all of you knowledge
to work.
 You'll find lots of interesting info on this line and I'm sure you'll be
able to impart a goodly portion as well.
Best Regards,
Tony R.
"GT6s"
###