Re: sticking master cylinder

To: matthews@apple.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: sticking master cylinder
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 19:21:42 -0500
In a message dated 96-03-26 04:28:38 EST, matthews@apple.com (John Matthews)
writes:

>Yesterday I attempted to rebuild the single circut brake master
>cylinder on my '61 herald. I followed the instructions in my manual,
>but now it seems to be sticking in the depressed position. I'm
>searching for a solution short of buying a new cylinder. Any thoughts.
>
>Thanks,
>
>John Matthews
>'61 Herald

John:

Be sure the MC is lubricated with brake fluid.  This will facilitate removal.
 If you have access to compressed air try plugging or capping the reservoir
and blow air into the pipe fitting.  Be fore warned that brake fluid will
spray everywhere so do it where it won't harm the paint.

Another technique is to gently rap the MC against a hard object (like a
vice).  Place a rag on the surface and strike it squarely taking care to not
deform the bore opening.  This usually works on a MC that has been used
recently.  If it has been sitting a long long time a long term soak in rifle
bore cleaner may help.

That's all I know about that subject.  Hope it helps you out of your delema.

Dave