TR4 gear needed

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR4 gear needed
From: "Kevin O'Driscoll" <ko3@columbia.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Mar 1996 12:42:38 -0500 (EST)
Dear Friends and Colleagues:
What is more depressing: 1) The length of the North American winter; 2) that
feeling you get while disassembling your Triumph when you realize that that
quick fix-up is turning into a major restoration; 3) the knowledge that
while spring is almost here the Triumph is nowhere ready for the road;
4)  the complete depletion of your savings account courtesy TRF and
MOSS; OR 5) all of the above?  For me the answer is obviously #5!
        All kidding (not) aside, I am in dire need of a constant mesh
gear for a TR4 transmission (gearbox=CT).  This gear is on the lower
countershaft, and is the one that engages the input shaft gear splined to
the clutch. Both the input shaft gear and the constant mesh gear were
quite abused in my spare overdrive transmission which I wish to rebuild. I
located a used input shaft in good condition but cannot find anyone to
sell me the constant mesh gear (part #142434) for a reasonable price.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  I have tried all the obvious
sources already.
        I could also use an original water temperature gauge and cable.
Mine are made in USA replacement parts which since they cannot be
disassembled are preventing the removal and refinishing of my dashboard.
The damn cable wont come off the back of the gauge, and the thermostat is
frozen into the housing on the engine head.  Suggestions?
        Thanks in advance.
Kevin O'Driscoll
ko3@columbia.edu

Partially disassembled '66 TR4A