Re: Tr-3 interior

To: wsachse@ncinter.net
Subject: Re: Tr-3 interior
From: aj253@rgfn.epcc.Edu (Tony Robinson)
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 96 21:14:14 MST
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

>Just so that fellow (whose name escapes me) doesn't continue to believe
>that the old 4-cyl Tr's run completely without complications I am throwing
>out this highly technical dilemma to search for the truth and help to
>finish my project.
>
>What the heck is that braided rope like stuff in the channel behind the
>B-posts and what the heck is it in there for?  (For those not familiar that
>is the rear door post) I am close to installing the interior in my car and
>don't have a clue as to the nature of the material or it's purpose.  I
>suppose that it is some kind of "nailer" to secure the interior panels but
>that is my only guess.  It has been a real long (real-real long)time since
>I've had an interior in this car and I did lose track of some details
>including this one.  I will search out a few local cars to see how the
>actual panels and carpet sections are installed and secured in place but
>could use an answer to this before I start in case I have to stuff it with
>oakum or hemp or something first.  Thanks in advance.
>
>                                Bill Sachse

Bill,
 Good guess.
 The "rope" is exactly that. It was installed with a rawhide mallet and
used to nail certain facia interior parts, especially  "A"post trim
upholstery. The material was nailed from the inside through 2 or 3 folds
then folded over the tacks and stretched into place.
 Pretty darned ingenious. One of the last true pieces of evidence that
"Coach Builders" built cars long before the advent of contact cement and
plastic.
Best Regards.
Tony R.
"GT6s"