Re: spit.1500 steering rack<165BC0D224F@novell2.bham.ac.uk>

To: Jonathan Miles <MILESJE@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: spit.1500 steering rack<165BC0D224F@novell2.bham.ac.uk>
From: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570"<RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:48:53 +0000 (GMT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk
>Hi all,

>Does anyone out there have any experience of rebuilding steering
>racks? I have a problem with mine in that there is play in the
>passenger side wheel, caused by play somewhere in the steering rack.
>It feels just as if the inner ball joint is loose but when you
>slide back the rubber boot, you can see that it's fine and the
>movement is actually occuring between the inner part of the rack and
>the outer (fixed) housing.  The outer ball joints are all fine, the
>rubber rack mounting bushes are new and there is no other play in the
>system. Is't just the passenger side and its sufficiently bad to
>cause a bit of wheel wobble at certain speeds, and to make accurate
>wheel alignment impossible.  Has anyone else come across this
>phenomenon?

I have a similiar problem with my Spit, although the wear is only slight.  The
outer tie rod arm on the rack wears, but this can be taken up by fitting shims
under the nut holding the arm on, I haven't recon'd a rack before, but I doubt
it is too difficult, just time consuming getting the tolerances right.
Although then again, a recon one from somewhere like John Kippings or John
Hills is only about 30-35 pounds so it might be easier to do
that.

Good luck.

Rich