Re: Looking for wheels

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Looking for wheels
From: Francois Demont <100304.2046@compuserve.com>
Date: 21 Mar 96 06:51:53 EST
>Bruce anwering to Nick :
>If indeed these are Cosmic wheels (I don't have the book to look at) be very
careful as these wheels are noted for being exceedingly fragile.

I confirm these are Cosmic wheels (I have the book). Cosmic Wheels made five
different types of alloy wheels. Cosmic GT then these Cosmic MKII (in the
Lindsay Porter/Peter Williams book, p.286), up to MKV design. I used 4 Cosmic GT
(the earlier type) on my MK3 Spitfire, every day car, during 3 years without any
*wheel* problem. I learn today they were fragile :-)
One thing I'm sure is that there often fitted with wrong wheel nuts. The
MKIV/1500 type can fit but is not the good type, you must use the centering-type
(shorter, without washer) as used on earlier cars.
I had original wire wheels when I bought the car in 1984, but after to frequent
problems of balancing I decided to try these alloys. The problem was that it's
not recommended to fit standard tyres (155*13), as the wheel is too wide, 5 1/2
inches (4 1/2 on whires and later MK3 steel disc). (My Cosmics are marked
'COSMIC REG. DES. 918822 5 1/2*13).
So I used 175*70*13 tyres during that 3 years, and.. broken two vertical links
(right, then left). Of course I can't be sure there is any relation, but I think
that large tyres are not a good think for our 'very short-turning cars'. Each
time I broke when manoeuvring at very low speed and turning hard.. I precise I
use EP90 gearbox type oil in the trunnions, as specified in the manual.
Now I found 5 original 4 1/2 nice steel wheels, equiped with 155*13 tyres..

Francois 'I would write more often if I had more English in my pen' Demont
100304.2046@compuserve.com
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/spitfire