Dumb suspension ques

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dumb suspension ques
From: rvince00@counsel.com (Ross Vincente -- TransAmer. Financial - Los Angeles )
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 96 19:57:44 EST

 To:    Triumphs List,          Inet

 From: dan parslow  who wrote:
The shop manual says to separate the upper balljoints.   Are  they
basically referring to a "pickle fork"?  How would you wizardly
lot go  about separating a steering upper balljoint?

++++++
Pickle fork always worked for me.  Best tip I ever heard was to
let the "fork" do all of the "work", meaning gently rap on the end
of it until the ball joint breaks free -- don't try to pop it
apart with one mighty blow.   Be patient.

++++++
I've got the shock/spring sets removed and standing in a corner
of my carport, pending arrival of new bushes.  Is it a bad idea
to leave this set off the car with only the shocks holding the
spring down?

++++++
Probably not going to harm the shocks, but OTOH, if you have a
spring compressor I'd relieve the tension just to be safe.  I
don't know what kind of shape your shocks and springs are in, but
it is safe to say that a compressed spring stores a LOT of energy
which is always looking for a place to go . . . . .  fast.

Have fun.

Ross D. Vincenti
64 Spitfire 4 (undergoing surgery)